4.25.2008

Bobby Knight

Yesterday I photographed legendary former Indiana basketball Coach Bobby Knight. He was in town as the keynote speaker for the Indiana Dental Association's 150th annual convention. When he first entered the room I was setting up my lights. I was excited to see the coach who I grew up watching on television with my father but, when it came time to speaking with him about photographing him I felt incredibly intimidated for some reason. It may have had something to do with the added pressure put upon me by my husband. For years now Brent has been dragging an old 8x10 black and white photograph of Bobby Knight's 1985 chair throwing incident. This print has hung in his last 8 houses he has lived it. He was dying for me to have him sign it but Coach Knight looked like he was in no mood sign yet another autograph. As a professional though I approached the coach and went over what I needed to go over with him and then he was off to give his speech.



He spoke for about an hour and told a series of amusing jokes and stories which I thoroughly enjoyed. After he was finished speaking we moved into the V.I.P. area to take the photographs and do the autograph signing.



Coach Knight quickly turned into a warm and fuzzy guy as soon as the V.I.P.'s entered the room. He was patient and kind listening to all the fan's stories about their memories and the memorabilia they brought with them. When the pictures were finished I requested to be his last photo and had him sign Brent's beloved print. All and all it was a great experience and I was honored to be a part of it and to have the opportunity to meet such an great Indiana legend.

No comments: